The second week in September comes to an end, but it's scorching hot in NYC, just like in mid summer. I thought my favorite chilled beet soup would be the best idea for lunch or dinner. It's nourishing, hydrating and super delicious!
1.5 pounds (5-6 medium sized fresh beets, with stalks and leaves)
2-liters (1.75 quart) of cold water
2 tbsp raw sugar
2 tbsp olive oil
Freshly squeezed juice from one medium lemon
Sea salt and black pepper
1 medium sweet potato
1 small cauliflower
2 medium carrots
1 medium cucumber
Fresh dill, parsley, scallion
4 medium radishes thinly sliced
Vegan sour cream
1. Wash the beetroots (including the stalks and leaves) very thoroughly.
2. Peel and chop the beetroots. Chop stalks and leaves into small pieces and cover with 2-liters of cold water. Add lemon juice and raw sugar.
3. Bring to a boil slowly, then turn down the heat and very gently simmer for 15 minutes. It’s important that the soup doesn’t boil too rapidly.
4. Season with sea salt and a little black pepper. Leave to cool until completely cold, refrigerate if necessary.
5. Preheat the oven to 375 ℉ / 190 ℃. Toss the finely chopped sweet potatoes, carrots and cauliflower with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and toss again. Roast until golden about 15 minutes. Leave to cool.
6. Add all vegetables to the cold soup. Serve with herbs and vegan sour cream.